View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It may change the secondary/post-secondary market (although I was less than impressed with my own Pearson Educational Media experience). But it will not change the elemntary market at all. The one thing I think an ebook can never, no matter how far the tech gies, replicate is picture books for young children. The first issue, as I have said before, is how they read with their fingers, making anything screen-based problematic (especially on touch screens, where they might advance the page accidentally when they point at the words). But there is also a core base set of reading readiness attributes that include a cognizance of pages, that they fit together to make stories, that they have writing on them etc. which rely on actually having physical pieces of paper bound together. You can't, nor would you want to, teach that with a screen.

What I think will eventually happen is we will develop a hard-drive-on-a-stick type of system where your whole OS, apps, media, books, music etc. will fit on a thumb drive and you can plug it into your desktop terminal at home or work, your cell phone, netbook, ebook reader or whatever you have and be ready to go with all your stuff. S if you have a book which needs a bigger screen or colour screen or whatever, you can plug it into one. And if you just want to read, you can plug it into something smaller and curl up on the couch.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote