View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
fragomatik
Klaatu Barada cough-cough
fragomatik began at the beginning.

Device: ECO Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebill View Post
I know that sometimes a server has to be replaced, but this seems more of updating a web site. Maybe having problems getting a shopping cart installed.

But 10 days does seem rather a long time.

( I have worked for a web host, but I'm not a superexpert on it.)
I'm no expert either, but I have had extensive involvement with IT system migrations, and to me this feels very much like a "disengagement" process.

Astak and Ezreader are separate companies, right?

I'd guess that these "technical" difficulties are really the result of the two business units establishing demarcation protocols, basically due to "splitting the business". For Trade Practices reasons they probably need to establish clear lines of separation between the two so that they are not breaking anti-trust regulations.

In other words these issues are more likely related to legal, financial and management constraints, rather than some actual technical issue with the website. Someone, somewhere is waiting for some decision maker higher up the food chain to make a decision, or to sign-off on something...meanwhile, the webmaster and potential Astak/Ezreader clients are sitting around twiddling their thumbs...or are they?

I can hardly blame Jennifer for being circumspect at this time, but I must agree with others here who said that BUY.COM is woefully inadequate as far as international sales to Australia goes. And the suggestion to "keep checking the ezreader.com website" with no clear indication of when it will be ready to accept orders? Well let's just say it's not the way to win the confidence of potential customers.

Personally, I could not wait any longer and I have now purchased an ECO 6" via DA Direct in Melbourne. It was an extremely easy and smooth process. The unit arrived within 4 days, and the total cost including GST, freight and "credit card processing fee" was $217.91.

So yes, in my case at least, Astak are losing business due to these "transition" difficulties.

(sorry for the long post - just my 2cents worth)
fragomatik is offline   Reply With Quote