View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #18
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Took some fiddling -- that is, self-tutoring (as I'd never done this before), but I managed to split my epub into separate zip files. Before I do load them up here, though, I am a bit curious about what Harry was saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because downloading large files puts a real strain on the server, and the site owner has indicated that he doesn't wish to increase it.
I can certainly understand concerns about bandwidth, but as Jellby mentioned, when he ran into he same problem he just loaded it up in separate zip files -- so in the end, there hasn't been any "relief" on the server, it still adds up to the same amount of downloads, with the only difference being that it's an extra pain for the end user having to unzip/merge the zips files. So in the end, it would seem that this limit on file size has accomplished nothing at all but to create an inadvertent pain for people. :/

Not that I'm going to convince the site owner to change his mind and increase the limit (although it doesn't hurt to suggest it, at least!) but at the same time I suppose I have to wonder what's wrong with just providing a link where people can download the files -- assuming that the person posting intends to leave the files there "forever". That would give the MR server a bandwidth load of... zero! Well, apart from the 1kb text file that makes up the person's post, of course.

Also, not to complicate this even more, but with this current series of books I've done (one volume in particular) I can see that in time other things will be added to it (it's an anthology), or changes made, and if I have it on my own site that's easy enough to do -- but if I load it up here, then I have to remember to re-load up the newer version if/when one arises...

AND, I also noticed with past uploads that if/when I do upload a newer version, it re-sets the "counter" showing how many people have downloaded the file (even if I gave it the same name), i.e. uploading a new version re-sets that counter back to zero.

Any thoughts? Again, I certainly don't expect anyone to just up and change the way everything has been done here (for years and years, no doubt), but I guess I can't help but wonder about these various things.
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote