View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sparrow, I don't think the situation is of "lost" knowledge, it is all there history wise, images of the surface, knowledge of what went before, but more a choice or willingness to "go along" with a virtual environment where all needs are met by the machine. A willingness to experience reality virtually and an aversion to actual direct experience.

The thing that intrigued me most (I think) about the story was the "search" for ideas on the part of Vashti and others including Kuno. I just re-read this section where he really sets up the tone and conflict that is behind the story (this just precedes the Orion description:

The air-ship barely takes two days to fly between me and you
I dislike air-ships.
Why?
I dislike seeing the horrible brown earth, and the sea, and the stars when it gets dark.
I get no ideas in an air-ship.
I do not get them anywhere else.
What kind of ideas can the air give you?
He paused for an instant. ...
(description of orion).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote