View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well, I like them both but one thing I suppose Malazan has going for it is the series is "finished"*. I read Malazan through book six in paper (back when US folks had to get them from the UK), but then it kind of fell by the wayside. I keep meaning to pick the series back up, but would feel the need to start at the beginning again. An 11,000 (or so) page main series is a big commitment. Then there's the whole 'what order' arguments (chronological with the novellas & Esslemont's books mixed in or by separate series).

I've read Ice & Fire through book four, but haven't been super enthused about starting book five yet as I'm thinking of waiting for them all to come out, some day, and re-starting from book one.

* It's finished in the sense that the initial ten book series by Erikson is done. There are still likely to be more novellas and IIRC still one book in the "Novels of the Malazan Empire" by Esslemont to be done. Then there's the The Kharkanas Trilogy which Erikson is doing now (first book out already). Depends on how you look at 'series'.

Sorry. Probably doesn't really help you decide. Just the things I think about for myself when I think about jumping back into either series.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote