View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #220
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-_-) View Post
Well, it booted...
---
No serial number.
Can't find our wifi network.

Doesn't seem possible to jailbreak, update button is always greyed out.
Same thing happens with Amazon's official updates.
---
Maybe because of the serial number, it thinks that the .bin files are not compatible with this model?

Any way out of this?
The serial number prefix is needed to recognize update packages. You at least need the first four characters of the serial to match the update package so you can install it.

You can set serial number, mac address, pcbsn and mfg code from fastboot, or diags "idme -d" (on a K4/K5). Does a K3 support fastboot? I do not remember. Is there a diags menu to change those idme vars?

Without a matching serial and mac, you cannot use 3G...

And with no wifi mac, no wifi...

EDIT: At least you could boot. On my K4 with corrupted idme vars, u-boot cannot init DRAM until it knows the pcbsn (so I had to force it with a custom u-boot that hard-coded my idme vars). Apparently, there were K4s that used different DRAM initialization...

The serial should be on your original kindle box (or in your amazon account). The wifi mac address should also be on an FCC sticker somewhere. The wifi mac may also be visible in the logs or network devices page in your wifi router if it has not been rebooted recently. As a last resort, an amazon tech could look it up in their database. The pcbsn and mfg code could probably be safely copied from another kindle of the same model.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote