View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Some quick comparisons between the Galaxy Player and two Android phones (Galaxy Ace/ Galaxy Dart). The Player does not require a data plan; and depending on your carrier, you may be forced to pay for a data plan for a smartphone. The Galaxy Player is currently selling for $150 on Amazon.

Display/ Android
  • Play= 800x480 -- 4.0" -- 2.3 Gingerbread
  • Ace= 480x320 -- 3.5" -- 2.2 Froyo
  • Dart= 320x240 -- 3.1" -- 2.2 Froyo

Processor/ RAM/ Battery
  • Play= 1.0 GHz -- 384MB -- 1,200mAh
  • Ace= 0.8 GHz -- ----MB -- 1,350mAh
  • Dart= 0.6 GHz -- ----MB -- 1,200mAh

Cameras: Rear -- Front
  • Play= 3.2MP AF no Flash -- 0.3MP
  • Ace= 5.0MP AF w/ Flash -- none
  • Dart= 3.0MP FF no Flash -- none

I have the Galaxy Player because it has better specs than low-mid range Android phones; plus, I don't have to pay for a data plan. I don't have a smartphone because I absolutely refuse to pay for a data plan, and my carrier (Verizon) requires it for all smartphones (both subsidized and non-subsidized).
Minor correction: Galaxy Ace runs Gingerbread 2.3.4; at least mine does.
Here, in Canada, for several smaller telcos, (Koodo, Wind, Public Mobile, Virgin, Mobilicity) you don't need to get a data plan at all unless you wish to, whether the phone is subsidized or not, prepaid or not (except for iPhone).
OP did mention having a Kindle Fire so not needing another small device other than the phone.
Also, OP hasn't said where they live, but I am assuming US because of the Kindle Fire. Doesn't the US have plans/pre-paid offerings that don't require contracts or data plans? I always thought that there was more choice and flexibility outside of Canada. Did I assume incorrectly?
It is also possible here to buy an unlocked GSM smartphone (from wherever, not the telco) and just pop a SIM card into it, keeping your current plan without getting data even with our larger telcos (Bell, Rogers, Telus).
Surely such choices exist in the US?
Just curious! I've spent a lot of time looking into that stuff here for myself and my daughters and I'm wondering how it all works in the States...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote