View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
It stopped working after showing the black squares - before that, the led blinked as if I had pressed the buttons (no matter if I did or not).

Fortunately, it doesn't matter anymore. I finally got around to use a linux bootdisc and after some trial and error (looking through the web with Lynx is an interesting experience, btw), I managed to prepare an SD card for the Kobo update.

Which seemed to work. At least it was recognized and the Kobo update started.
The next restart still hung, though. It showed the Kobo logo, but wouldn't go beyond 2 black squares.

Since I had a second SD card, I prepared the Coolreaders Cool-Er update on it.

Guess what? It worked! The device is now officially unbricked and mutated beyond recognition.
Apparently the Kobo update replaced something deep inside the device, where no normal update should ever go...

I will have to update my device information text, because what I now own is a weird Netronix Elonex/Kobo/Coolreaders hybrid.

When connected to the PC, it registers as Elonex eBook. The startup screen says Kobo, and the firmware is Coolreaders.

Seriously, that alone was worth all that trouble.
I know I'm weird.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote