View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have a Kindle DX and I really like it. I use it as my primary reader, but I normally use it to read non-technical books.

However, I have used it for technical books in PDF format on occassion (I am a software developer). The DX's software could definately use some improvement. The lack of internal link support is beyond stupid. In general, their PDF support is quite poor. It does fine for displaying pages and in general they are quite readable on the 9.7" screen, but that is the limit of the good news. Amazon could definately improve the DX with some software upgrades -- a zooming feature, link support, annotation and bookmark support all being at the top of my list.

I think Amazon will probably get around to providing these features, but when it will happen is anyone's guess. I have been waiting for Folder support for years now. My guess is that we will have to wait for the Plastic Logic QUE to start cutting into marketshare before the upgrades start coming.

With all of that said, I think you would probably like the DX. I really do love mine. I've read a fair amount of PDFs and technical material -- but just in a serial page by page fashion. I've also read a LOT of fiction on it, and that is where it really shines. The larger screen size is so much better for reading than the little 6" screen. Plus Amazon has a great selection of books at reasonable prices.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote