View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
Okay, here's the thing that phone/palm/iPod readers aren't taking into account: E-ink displays. The reason I hate reading e-books on a computer/phone/palm/iPod is that stupid backlit screen. E-book readers with E-ink displays are easier on the eyes and for me at least, make for a more pleasant reading experience.

<...>

It's just that every discussion I've seen about E-readers vs iPhones didn't really take into account the e-ink screen, which is what brought me over to the "e-side" from paper books.
I have taken it into account.

I need color, which eInk doesn't currently support, and a device that does other things besides display ebooks. So my reader of choice is a Palm OS PDA, which will let me turn off the backlight entirely in bright light conditions. I'm quite comfortable reading on it.

And I don't see eBook viewer software for the iPhone hurting dedicated readers sales either. The iPhone is as much fashion accessory as cell phone, and having ebook solutions for it simply increases the potential ebook market. As you mention, once they've gotten accustomed to reading on a handheld, they may well be seduced by the eInk side of the Force.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 07-08-2008 at 05:14 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote