View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwharrison View Post
Right.

On the other hand, iBooks DOES sync reading position and bookmarks for content that has not been purchased from Apple. To me, this makes it the epub reader of choice right now.
That's good. That's pretty much how I understood it to be, but I haven't been able to use iBooks yet, so I wasn't sure. There's a lot I like about Stanza, but syncing between devices may be the killer feature that makes iBooks the winner.

So basically, right now, you can only have on-line, "whispersync" capabilities using Kindle books purchased from Amazon. You can sneak non-Kindle books into the Kindle application on a specific device, but it won't sync to other devices.

But with iBooks, you do have bookmark syncing that goes across devices, but
a) it's not on-line. You have to sync one device to iTunes and then sync the other device.
b) both devices have to be iBooks-capable Apple devices.

So if you want to read an ebook that you did not purchase from Amazon on your iPad/iPod/iPhone, and then you want to pick up where you left off by reading the same book on your Kindle or other non-Apple ebook reader, it simply can't be done at this time, as far as I know.

But it would be really cool.

I'm also waiting for the technology that will move the bookmark in my physical book as I read the corresponding electronic book. Where's my ap for that?
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote