View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #37
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
We have different expectations of games. We've come to expect that games will only run on one console, and that the next generation will run the previous generation's games, but not the generation before that.

I don't feel the same entitlement to a game on one platform if I bought it on another as I would for a book in one format having bought it on another - or even a recording. Perhaps that's because I know that there's more work in porting games than format shifting, or perhaps it's just a habit.

Anyway, I think that there is a comparison with video consoles, in that people deserted them because general purpose computers came out which could do much the same and more. Tablets may do that for many with respect to current readers - we shall see. People went back to consoles when they offered something that their general-purpose computers could not - more immersive gaming, for example.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote