View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Do literary awards - in genre fiction and in literary fiction - influence your buying and reading decisions?

If so, how?

We can also consider nominated books in this discussion.
I guess I'd say they mildly do in the sense that I'll take a look at the nominees and consider reading them and I have gone back and checked out past awards and nominees when looking for something to read. This is true more for non-fiction and biography than for fiction. With fiction I go where the wind blows me. That said, I've found a few great books this way from the Pulitzer fiction list and Hugo's, notably Independence Day and Lonesome Dove and some very good books. I don't think I've ever selected a book because it was nominated or won an award.

The Nobel literature awards? I agree with the comment that they are more lifetime achievement awards (to me). I've read some, found some good ones but few that I've considered great works.

The only ones I pay attention to before the award ceremony are the Hugo, Locus and Nebula. I don't read all the nominees but I almost always have read a couple.

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-13-2009 at 03:41 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote