View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yes.
Let's.
Because without even that pathetically simplistic DRM scheme, no major studio would be offering up movies for sale at a price a normal person could buy. No CSS = no DVDs.
No DRM no music. Hang on, what makes movies any more special than music? If anything, music can be pirated easier than movies too. CDs sold for years without DRM, mp3's sold for a while with then they realised they'd sell just as well without.

With DRM it will be pirated, without DRM it will be pirated. Only without DRM we'll see the development of new industries and companies such as occurred with production of video recorders.

I'm not angsting over it though. If a product has DRM that means I can't use it for what I want, then I won't buy it unless I know I can remove the DRM. That's why I bought DVDs for a long time but didn't buy blu rays until recently. It's why I don't mind buying ebooks from amazon. It's why I won't buy software that requires activation as I can't examine the cracks for malware (unlike the scripts that are often used to remove DRM from books etc)

However, it's not just a question of personal use. It's that people have to rely on tools from dubious sources to remove the DRM, it's that new products and ways of using media have been stifled because of DRM. See the case of the company who developed a way to rip your DVDs and store them as a library on a home server (they even re-encrypted the content during storage to limit piracy) but because that product needed to remove DVD encryption to begin with, it was illegal and never made it.

Last edited by JoeD; 09-27-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: re-read my tone came more argumentative than intended :)
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote