View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
This bit doesn't make sense:

One in six is about 17%, so a little over half the Kindle's 31%. I'd like to know what the writer actually intended to say.
I'll bet his editor (if he has one) does too. This is a very confused story, in part because it's all about the imagined war between the Kindle and the iPad, and it pulls figures out of a report that is probably proprietary (i.e., you have to pay for it at corporate rates) and then as you pointed out gets the arithmetic wrong. Given that, the 76% mentioned for Amazon is close to what they've been claiming, and if you add that to the Apple figure in the story (5%), you've got 81%. B&N has been claiming 20%.

Of course that 101% kind of crowds out everyone else, but the _order_ of the market share you see reported in various places right now seems to be pretty consistent - Amazon, B&N, Apple, and "Everyone Else." And the estimate that Amazon's share will drop is also pretty common, but then if the ebook market itself keeps on growing, "a rising tide lifts all boats," even if some of them sit a little lower in the water than they'd like. I'm happy to see all of this competition, though, because both the booksellers and the device makers are falling all over themselves to make things better, faster, and cheaper. More books, better prices, and better ereaders. For the ereading customer, to mangle a phrase from Huey Long, it's "Every woman a queen, every man a king."

And I'm okay with that.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote