View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #29
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Does Guttenberg offer classics in Arabic, I wonder. I can't read it, but it's a beautiful, artful script just to gaze at. I also love the look of Hebrew and various Oriental examples of loving penmanship.

One of the treasured treebooks I'll hang onto when I clear my shelves of what is now waste paper is one with a tooled, soft, green leather cover written in Arabic and given to me by an old neighbour from Algeria. Can't understand a single letter, but gosh is it a lovely sight.

Our own alphabet of just twenty-six unardorned strokes is gorgeous in its simplicity and expressive potential (not to mention its adaptability to phonetics and other tongues and to modern technology), but it doesn't carry the same breathtaking power at a glance as, say, (for me indecipherable) ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Sorry to side-track a serious thread with an aside. Very best to everyone. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 10-08-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: would you believe ... a misplaced comma?