View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
phearlez
phearlez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mobi TOC style vs ePub style?

Apologies if this should go elsewhere but it's odd enough that I'm not 100% sure where to ask.

I've been using Calibre and the Washington Post recipe to populate my kindle every day and I love it. One of the things I really like about it is the way it lists the table of contents - it suits my reading style, which is very section-focused (having been reading a daily print paper for 20 years...)

Now I've got an iPad and while the kindle is easier on my eyes overall, where I read the paper is dimly lit and is one of the few places it'd be easier on the iPad.

Except how it handles the table of contents? Nowhere near as pleasant as how it happens on the kindle, where I get a screen with NEWSPAPER SECTION (# of articles) listings, and can either go to the first article in the section or get a list of sections. Not only is the iPad's ToC not like this but it's kinda junky.

While I'm reasonably sure this is a function of the iPad vs the Kindle I figure it's worth asking: does this have anything to do with MOBI vs ePub? Is it that my recipe runs and generates MOBI which I have then run the conversion process on rather than going straight from recipe -> ePub?

If none of that made any damned sense to you I suppose I could add pictures....

This is the layout style I really like and which the iPad ToC does not come close to matching in functionality for me:

Last edited by phearlez; 04-08-2010 at 03:20 PM.
phearlez is offline   Reply With Quote