View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #93
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Not all tricks are feasible, nor all tricks are employed. In fact, for example, such device will have to rely heavily on A2 to display video. Now: will such A2 be employed cleverly or not? Because, for example, I have seen devices using a Floyd-Steinberg dithering for A2 rendering: which has the gigantic drawback of using very heavy randomness in a hardware technology which has the characteristic of having a breakthrough low cost in retaining dot state, and conversely a massive cost in changing such dot state (of dots which also have a limited lifetime) - thus losing the power efficiency of E-Ink's EPD. Clever dithering on EPD not only generically looks nice: it is also supposed to change as little dots as possible. Implementation not granted at all.
I believe I have just seen a video, recorded at close range to see the details, of an Hisense phone playing video: it seems to use a naïve dithering for A2 implementation. Not cleverly engineered, it will gratuitously drain your battery.

Well, that described above was just an example of "nor all tricks are employed". Probably a good one: it seems it was also factual.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote