View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If were talking dream specs, I'd say Mr Saint's specs plus the following:
* "Spectacular" eInk color screen with some kind of backlight for low light conditions, and the ability to show DivX/Xvid/MPEG4 video. But I realize the color video is really pushing it because of frame refresh rates for current eink displays, and lack of affordable color display technology.
* Long battery life, and rechargeable, user-replaceable battery.
* eReader and MSWord document compatibility (which should allow reading rtf, txt, doc, html, etc. -- whatever Word can read.)
* Automatic sync of bookmarks and current page locations between Palm/PPC, so if you are reading books on two devices it's not a pain to keep track of what page you are on. Actually, aside from eInk readers, I'd love to see synchronization like this between PPC and PalmOS devices, not just for ebook reader software!
* Linux and Mac compatible. Not for me personally (yet), but I know it's frustrating to be on a platform and not have it supported.
* Price not above $50 dollars. Okay, I know that's rediculous... let's make that not above $300. I know, that price is still not feasible either, but maybe we can at least call it "wishable" for a dream spec.

Ever notice how hard it is to nail down specs? We don't really know the tech limitations, and don't have examples to work off of. It's hard to determine what's fantasy and what's possible. It's much easier to make this kind of guess for a more established market like for PalmOS or PPC handhelds!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote