View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
With the 3G, the only way Verizon is getting paid for your bandwidth usage is by taking a cut from the retailers that they allow you to connect to.

I'm hopeful that somebody will figure out a way of getting 3rd party apps to use the connectivity, but I don't think Verizon will be very happy about it if they do.
Technically speaking this should not be particularly difficult. The flack that we would get from doing it though would likely be worrisome. Anyone who already has a Verizon device with paid 3G support would probably be better to spoof their own device. As I'm with AT&T, I would want to know how much they charge before using it...getting saddled with a big bill after a weekend of tinkering with network code is not my idea of fun.

This is one of my main sticking points with purchasing the DR800SG - I have bought books from every (ePub) source imaginable, not just B&N, and hate side-loading with a cord. I would much rather download them from calibre-server.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote