View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i installed sony's ebooklibrary software v. 3 today. now every time i plug in my 600 the software starts automatically. since i don't use it i don't want this. i thought i saw a post explaining how to disable the software autorun but when i searched for it i only found posts about disabling autorun in windows registry for all usb devices (not what i'm looking for). anybody know what thread i'm talking about (or did i dream that) ? is it possible to disable that somehow so the ebl will run only if i launch it manually ? should i go back to the previous version ?

in the interest of clarity / completeness : i installed v 3 because windows started having trouble seeing the 600 when i plugged in the usb cable, so i was hoping that the ebl software contained a driver which might help (i know it's a standard windows driver. but when you are having mysterious usb device troubles, re-installing a driver can sometimes help). also i wanted to update the firmware, and according to sony's support page the ebl update was required for that. it does seem to be more reliably recognised when i plug it in since i've updated, although it continues to frequently lose the connection after a few minutes even during communication, which is really annoying.

thanks in advance for any advice.
The easiest solution (one I used) is to type msconfig in the "Run" dialog in Windows, and then go to the "Startup" tab and uncheck the box for the Sony Reader software. That should stop the software loading up everytime you plug the reader in. This way, I can load up the software only when I want to. Windows will probably still pop up a prompt asking you what you want to do with the newly detected drive (as it recognizes the memory on the Reader as an external disk). You can disable that by disabling autoplay.

Last edited by orion2001; 10-19-2009 at 03:26 PM.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote