View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

I use OpticBook scanner basic version (~250$ comes with Abby). At 300 dpi, b&w (which works much better for ocr than greyscale), jpg/tif, I do roughly 10 pages ( 5 dp sheets) per minute for a hc, 14 pages for a pb, watching a movie while scanning.

The results are pretty good, very few black spots or shadows as long as you press the book properly (depends from book to book and from where you are in the book). The book is not damaged in any way by scanning.

I always count 10' per 100 pages for scanning a hc/tp. After that, the ocr is done by the pc so no time wasted.

Personally I complement the ocr with a transformation of the scan in Nokia 770 size (480x800) jpg's page to screen; using 2 free windows programs (xnview, rename master for cropping, renaming, resizing) and a html template for embedding the jpg's so are readable by Fbreader, I do a scanned book in about 20-30' independent of size since everything is mostly a matter of organization. As a jpg/html it takes about 35kb/page at appropriate image quality, and it's very nicely and fast readable on Nokia. I complement reading the image book with the ocr, but overall I prefer the image reading on Nokia and the ocr on Ebks1150.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote