View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I actually enjoyed the original Kobo Rocks thread more when it was about why people were enjoying their devices. That thread has taken a turn and is now about font esoterica. I am staking a claim on a new Kobo Rocks thread and hope that it will be used to talk about the things we are enjoying on our Kobo eink devices.

I have owned all of the Kobo readers, and each time I get a new one, I do a happy dance. As a new Aura owner, I really like the hi-def screen. I like being able to have the book shelf I am currently concentrating on directly on my home page, and how the home page changes based on my usage.

I thought that the smooth plastic cover would bother me more than it does. It took a few days to get used to the change, but I don't find it at all slippery. I joke with a friend about buying those sticker things meant for the bottom of bathtubs, but I'm really fine with the plastic case.

Now when I pick up my Glo it just feels too small. Odd how that happens.
for reclaiming this thread!!

The Aura is my first Kobo reader; prior to it I had the Kindle Keyboard (my fave Kindle), Kindle Touch & Kindle Paperwhite. I think the Kindle software is more mature than Kobo's; hardware maturity seems about equal; but for me 2 the discriminators that gives the edge to Aura over Paperwhite are the front light implementation & the user interface. The front light on the Aura is how i would assume Amazon intended/expected their Paperwhite light to be implemented. Kobo hit a grand slam with their implementation! And the fact that i can actually completely turn off the Aura light is a huge bonus as well! Additionally, Kobo gives me many more options to view info about what I'm reading than Amazon does, and it's visually presented in a much more pleasing way (to my eyes anyway!).

One thing I have noticed recently - that I absolutely love! - is that when you modify font type, size, line spacing, margins, etc..the Aura will update the number of pages remaining (chapter or book) accordingly! Not so with the Kindle.

Now for the reality check - if Kobo wants to go up against Amazon & be a relevant competitor they have got to get a handle on their very antiquated online ordering & tracking system (at least for those of us in the U.S.), as well as their customer service. Both of these factors are enough to turn buyers off, and rightfully so!

Last edited by 93terp; 05-02-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Correction
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote