Thread: Kindle
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I'm not that much younger than you and I have been building computers since the 1970s. I have been collecting ebooks for over 10 years waiting for a decent ereader to come out. I started with a Jetbook due to the AA batteries and then I went through the nook because it supported epubs, a necessity for at least a few months longer for library access. The touch screen was a lot more frustrating than I was aware until I finally converted all my books to mobi and found the Kindle. Best reader I ever have found.

In any case, I wanted only reading, or so I thought. Once I got access to the internet through 3G, something that the nook decided to NOT offer, I found it was a fantastic addition and I would never go any other way. I love reading some news feed or book review and being able to click on the link to read the full article. Looking at a book review and then, in minutes, being able to reserve the book at my library, all on the Kindle, is just great. Plus you can download ebooks for free from ManyBooks for free.

In short, I would suggest getting the the new Kindle Special Offers at $139. It is just $25 more for the 3G access and the ads will not get to you at all. People of our age have probably developed a pretty good ability to ignore commercial messages, and it never interferes with your reading or with any internet access.

Once you get yours, make sure you check out the great selection of public domain books here and at ManyBooks.net. And keep an eye open for the addition of library lending through you local branch. It will require computer access, but it is amazing what is out there. My local library has added over 14,000 titles in the last 12 months. If you don't have local access, Philadelphia Public Library allows out state access for $15 per year and they have 4800 titles. You will have to wait until Adobe sets up books specifically for Kindle, something coming at year end.

Last edited by chas0039; 07-14-2011 at 07:53 PM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote