View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
ceebee_uk
ceebee_uk began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Not everyone likes touch screens. I dislike them mostly because they dislike me. I hated working register at my last job because the misbegotten touch screens spent almost as much time laughing at me as they did responding to my touch. On my computer, I do work that requires more precision that a touch screen would give me. It's also a longer reach to the screen than to the mouse, something this old, broken down carcass of mine is very much aware of. On an e-book reader, I just see no need for a touch screen. All I need to do is select a book to read and turn pages. A few buttons are all I need for that. I can see scratching the heck out of a touch screen over time (plus the screen will get dirty pretty quickly and I hate a dirty screen).

I also don't need to download books directly to my reader at anytime. It won't kill me to wait until I can get to one of my computers and download to one of them. Besides, the 3G and WiFi connections on a reader are unprotected. No one has come up with a virus for e-book readers yet, but that doesn't mean they won't. Even phones are starting to get them so it's just a matter of time. No WiFI or 3G, no viruses getting in (and no one getting in to snoop or remove stuff). Plus the reader is cheaper and the battery lasts longer.

All the above is a good mirror of my views. The launch of the sony 350 caused the cost of the 300 to go below £100 so I bought one and couldnt be happier !
ceebee_uk is offline   Reply With Quote