View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswd View Post
For a story I'm writing, I need some details about high school football (in America, in the 1990s). I've never played high school football, I know nothing about it. I don't want to get the details wrong and look foolish. Where can I go to ask somebody?

(BTW, I don't want a football site - that would only help me with this question. I'm looking for a site where anybody can ask anything, because I know I'm going to need more help with other stuff in the future.)
Um... Don't you need to work a bit harder? I don't mean to be rude, but this does sound a little cut-and-paste-ish. I'm not sure that a couple of forum questions is going to lead to a very convincing story, particularly if you're starting from nothing.

How about watching a few films with a footballing theme? A fairly painless process (depending on the film, of course). You might be able to take on some of the atmosphere - the crowd, the locker room, the coach pep talk. A bit of radio might be good too, for the language. There are lots of stations you can access via the web.

Or you might try a slightly different angle. You can sometimes paper over gaps in technical knowledge with universal personal detail. For example, I don't know anything about football either, but does the helmet make your head feel like a pumpkin on a stalk, the way a motorcycle helmet does? Do the support bandages on your knees and elbows give you a rash? When you take the gum shield out, does it leave a thread of spit on your chin the way false teeth do (but let's not go there...)?

Last edited by MartinC; 10-18-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: To be less snarky...
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote