View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Well Ill try to answer the questions I found as best I can.
Quote:
:"Am I in the right place?"
Not really. This is a pretty tech centric forum. Occasionally the Writers Corner has some topics that might interest you. It's not really a forum about the industry though.

The rest of your manifesto probably won't get a lot of traction here. There are some issues in there I'd enjoy discussing with you but in little chunks.

This reads more like a blog post than a forum post. It's too long and covers too much ground for this format.

I'll just make one comment.

Quote:
As a writer, I have a big problem with the paradigm that aside from writing good literature, I also have to be a good manager and a good merchant. That the latter are inseparable from the activity of writing.
And my Land Surveyor friend has to do advertising, payroll, training, hiring, attend meetings and conferences, continuing education, write bids and proposals, and make his own coffee. Actual surveying is maybe 10% of his week. It's called running a small business, which is what you, as an independant author are in fact doing. You can ignore the busines end of writing and be a pure artist, but if you want to make a living at it you have to do the work or hire someone who will. It's not a subversive paradigm the publishing houses are using to hold you back, it's life and it's completely up to you how you approach it.

Also, you forgot editor, cover artist, publicist, mail room clerk, runner, secretary, and brown nosing ineffectual middle management suck up. You gotta cover all those bases too.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote