View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #12
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
This is a completely backwards idea.

Why, exactly, would I want to get in a car, drive 20 minutes to the store, browse for 30 minutes, spend 15 minutes checking out, then another 20 going home -- when I can download a sample, read it, buy it, and have it on my device in 10 minutes?

You don't need to go to the music store to download MP3's, or to the game store to download video games, or to the video store to stream movies to your computer. I fail to see why you need to go to a physical store to download a book.

Not to mention that a store is a very expensive chunk of overhead that will become far less common (for better and for worse) as ebook sales rise. Since the physical store doesn't even generate revenue from the sale, it's clearly not a sustainable model.
I agree that it doesn't make sense to have a store that sells exclusively ebooks, but I think having an ebook section in a regular bookstore (or even other stores that sell books) would be great. I love to browse in bookstores, and to have the ability to purchase an ebook while I'm browsing would be great. I kind of like the idea of the cards to use as gifts too.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote