View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
thebrave
Enthusiast
thebrave doesn't litterthebrave doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, iPhone, Nokia N800
Quote:
To my own mind there is the possibility that books might become too low in price (six to eight dollars strikes me as about right, and some of the prices on Fictionwise and elsewhere are indeed outrageous). Skilled people involved in publishing apart from just the writers - editors, promotional staff, literary agents, designers, artists, and so forth - need adequately compensated for their work. That means there needs to be a certain level of returns on books to reward their work. However, I have reason to believe the kind of digital revolution discussed here is still quite a ways off; ebook sales still represent only a tiny proportion of sales relative to those of p-books, but perhaps there's rather less excuse now or in the near future for $25 ebooks.
But I think you're forgetting the point of the whole ebook idea and the war on DRM. Now that the distribution has hardly any cost, now that you haven't any stocks or any other dead-tree related cost, I think we have to rethink how all those digital good cost.

IMHO, an ebook sold $2 could easily make more profit than its $14.99 physical counterpart.... but the ebook have to be available on any platform (phone, computer, ebook reader) and samples should be freely available.
thebrave is offline   Reply With Quote