View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #758
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
Hi folks I really hope you can help me with one or two details, or I have to spend on a new Kindle and I really prefer the keyboard so that's the K3 which is the most expensive... I am not well either so please make it REALLY basic meaning EMBARRASSINGLY basic!!

I'm using Windows 7 on a laptop.
That (win-7) will limit how much help I can be, but if willing to take your answers in parts....

Part by me and part by someone else....

Quote:
-- Following the debrick method at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk ( me being a noob and all). Step 3 says:
'When installing on a Win 64bit system it is possible that the USB drivers needed for this process will not install. The easiest option is to utilize a Windows 32bit system instead. '
How do I utilise a Win 32 bit system? (Don't laugh.)
You might have one, but maybe you do not.
Can you translate from Win-XP to Win-7 (I can't)?

Start -> Control Panel -> System
The "General" tab which describes your system should tell you if it is a 32bit or a 64bit version of Windows.

Quote:
-- Next... I don't know (don't laugh) how to unzip files that don't end with .zip. I inherited this laptop (wouldn't have moved to Win7 for years otherwise) and WinRAR comes up, not something I'm used to. The mmcblk0p1 files needed are .zip.001 and .zip.002. I did try renaming with an extra .zip extension, didn't work. Then I thought of taking the .001 off before trying to unzip, would that be silly? Also I tried to download them again but now the download page gives me 'The file you attempted to download is an archive that is damaged or possibly encrypted. ' and wants me to have a premium account. Is this something I did (trying to re-download) or something I can avoid?
Save the first copy of those files you downloaded, they are probably alright.
That mirror site only allows ten downloads a week, the files are being relocated to another file host.
Until those file get moved somewhere, they are the only copy you will be getting this week.

Removing the .001 and .002 was probably the "right thing to do" -
at least that would be my (non-Windows user) guess.
Unless the remaining parts of the filenames where the same.
You need both files present to un-zip a multi-part zip file.

The image files will probably not use the zip compression once they are moved to other hosting.
You would be doing yourself a favor to install 7zip:
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
Notice that here, again, you need to know if you have a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows.

Quote:
So let me know what I need to tell you for you to explain to me... and many thanx in advance.
OK -
That leaves you with enough answers to at least get started.
Someone else can take over from here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote