View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
My cover from Germany arrived

This is not a "slim" cover like the one from Amazon or GoogleProduct, so I'd thought to post it in its own thread.

First, some quickie pictures straight out of the camera, apart from resizing:

It is this cover over here, costing €10.95 or about $15, including shipping (at least, to the Netherlands). Shipping to the Netherlands took exactly one week.

Ledertasche für Amazon Kindle

Some points:
- It's not real leather. It's fake leather ("Kunstleder.") No problem: it seems to be stitched very well, and the case like it's of good quality for the money. At this point in time, I am not of the impression that it will soon fall apart.

- The inside of the lid seems to be made of some sort of microfiber or felt cloth.

- The case feels VERY sturdy. When shut, it feels like a hardcover book. It is somewhat smaller than my hardcover version of Black Beauty (edit: which is actually the smallest and thinnest book I own), and about 25% thinner. So the Kindle inside this case becomes comparable in size to a small, +/-150 page hardcover book.

- The Kindle slots in from the left. It has a flap about half as long as the Kindle's long side, and about an inch wide. You slot the device into the case, and then tuck the flap underneath the Kindle. There, it sticks to the case using Velcro. It's secure enough: It's actually a bit difficult unsticking the flap and folding it out again.

- While the item discription does not mention it, the case does have the on/off-feature like the Amazon and GoogleProduct cases have, and it works fine. (I found it mentioned in another auction, which sells this same case for $35.) Sometimes, turning off works instantly, sometimes it takes the Kindle up to 5 seconds. (I looked inside at the top corner ) It seems this magnet is a "software button", which is checked for activation only every few seconds.

- The USB-port and on/off button are accessible.

- The case can be folded back onto itself and can be easily held with one hand. The case lends a good grip.

- The magnet in the top corner of the lid is much stronger than the one on the bottom corner. It's at least twice as strong. The bottom magnet cannot be too strong, because it would cause the Kindle to turn off again if you should fold the case backward. I personally would have preferred a long magnet inside the right edge, if that had been possible.

- There is no metal or writing on this case anywhere.

- A warning might be in order. There is a cutout for the Kindle logo. It looks like as if the Kindle Touch might fit, with its button in the place of that cutout. However, the rest of the case fits the Paperwhite *exactly*. It's quite snug in there, and you actually need to bend the back a little to unstick and unfold the Velcro flap on the left. The Touch is a tad bigger and a little bit fatter than the Paperwhite. It might fit, but I have not tested this. (Maybe I can do so when I'm at my aunt next time, who now owns my Touch.)

- The only problem with this case, as with all black stuff: You will see every dust speck. Grrr. You can see some in the first picture already

I like these cases better than the ones with the 4 elastic retaining straps (blergh), and I have a feeling that I also like it better that I would with the Googleproducts cover. I just don't have too good a feeling about that case with regard to getting the Kindle out of I wanted to, which is the main reason to go looking for a different one.

For the money I've paid (€10.95), I'm very happy with it. I'd recommend this case if you're looking for a slot-in, instead of a snap-in book-type case.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote