View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #446
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
But those things have not really changed with the iPhone 5, they were the existing reasons to switch to the iPhone.

New customers have been given that choice of ecosystem for the last couple of years, and have been choosing Android in spite of it. There's been a dip in Apple market share as buyers wait for the iPhone 5, but I'll hazard a guess that it is existing iPhone owners who have been waiting to upgrade who have caused that slowdown.

I doubt that a significant number of new smartphone buyers have decided to hold off for most of this year waiting for the iPhone 5. They'd just have gone for the existing iPhone.

Graham
You are right that these are nothing new, though they are getting better all the time: now iCloud is built into everything and the app store is getting bigger.

However, it sounds like you're assuming that everyone without an iPhone is using Android. In fact, less than half the population of the US owns a smartphone (source). I think those are the people Apple is really going after.

Moreover, if you look at sales figures for Verizon and AT&T, iPhones represent almost three quarters of all models sold. It is far and away the most popular device in the country. The only reason it can look otherwise is that its critics like to compare iOS (3 phones) to all of Android (200+ phones). Hardly a relevant comparison.

Apple is destroying every one of its competitors at the moment.