View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 11:41 AM   #5
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
You know, I have to wonder where they're sourcing the free versions of this material from.

If they're getting it from Gutenberg, and modifying it (a word-for-word comparison would verify that, Gutenberg translations have "quirks" that are only introduced by their editors), they're in direct violation of Gutenberg's copyright of the translated works for removing all attribution. They would also be in violation of the Lanham Act, for "..false designation of origin". They're also adding restrictions to the work (mandatory signup, locking the work via a credit card number) which were not present in the original work.

I just did a quick check, and they did change some things, which leads me to believe they sourced it from another place, but they might have just done that to avoid detection.

There's another place doing the same thing, but no free download to see if they're actually using Gutenberg's work.

I guess its time to provide them with some confrontation, or some competition.

There is no question they've copied it from somewhere, the question is, did they have the rights to do so, including removing any original attribution of the translator that handled the original work.

Last edited by hacker; 12-10-2004 at 11:50 AM.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote