Thread: PRS-505 ADE software help
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
are you able to use the Sony software to download library books as that is what this is all for. So do yo download the book onto your computer then import through Sony software? Just waiting for my library card.

Funny the ADE & 505 are both registered together as I have used it before on my Dell but the Dell wont recognise the reader either now either.
Yes, you can use the Sony Reader Library on a Mac to download library books. One of the reasons why I love my ereader is the capability to borrow library ebooks!

The PRS-505 is somewhat unique in the way that you authorize the device with ADE on a PC before you can use it on your Mac. Newer models do not have this issue. The good news is that you appear to have both a PC & Mac so you can do the workaround.

1. Install ADE on a Windows PC and then authorize your PRS-505 on that PC. (Sounds like you have done this already).
2. Install ADE on your Mac and authorize the Mac (Sounds like you have done this already too).
3. Install the Sony Reader Library on the Mac. Sony will ask you if you want to use the ADE account/password info in your Keychain. Say yes. Also I think there might be an option to check that says "always" so you never have to answer this question again.

At this point your computers and ereader should all be authorized to your Adobe account, and your software should be setup to view the Adobe-DRM'ed files. Just make sure you use the same Account ID and password each time.

Now chose the ebook you want from your library and check it out. The ebook can be either PDF or EPUB format. When I download a book from my library, an acsm file is placed in my Downloads folder with a name like "URLLink.acsm" or "booktitle.acsm". Right click on the file name and select Open With > Reader Library. This action will open the book in the Sony software.

The book will appear at the top of the Books category if you sort by most recent date. You will see in the far-right hand column the time remaining until it expires, e.g. 14 days. Make sure your reader is plugged in with the USB cable. Then you can sync your library with your PRS-505. Alternatively you could drag and drop the book onto the reader device icon in the left-hand column of the Sony software. Also don't forget to click the "Eject" button next to the reader device icon before disconnecting the USB cable.

It is a lot of effort to go through to get the Sony Reader Library Mac version to play nice with the PRS-505 and library ebooks! Like I said above newer models don't have this extra PC workaround. It's just that the PRS-505 was the first Sony ereader to work with ADE and also the Reader Library Mac version is relatively recent.

Once you work through this frustration, the process does run smoothly after that. It sounds like you might have some other issues if your reader isn't showing up in ADE on your Dell. Best of luck to you!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote