View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have read numerous books on various LCD screens. At first it was a struggle and I spent quite a long time trying various color combinations and other settings. Back then, there were no e-ink readers, not even tablets, let alone luxurious high-quality screens we have today. The best you could get was an iPaq PDA or a Palm Pilot. I salvaged an old, notebook back then, without battery and disk (booted from floppy disk with a small text-viewing DOS program and half a book in text format), with back-lit LCD screen with 255 levels of gray. Later I got a disk for that notebook, then updated to color model, then updated that to Toshiba Libretto - an obsolete (even back then) mini-notebook the size of TCR tape. I have read hundreds of books from those and I was constantly trying to tune something to make reading more pleasant, especially in low-light conditions.

Later I got a PDA with clam-shell design with non-back-lit matrix LCD screen (the kind digital watches or old calculators had). Contrast was relatively poor, but it fit in my jacket pocket and could be viewed without the back-light.

When I got my first e-ink reader in 2007 I was extremely impressed with the screen. Nowadays, in comparison with modern front-lit hi-res e-ink displays it isn't much, but for me it was light years ahead of LCD.

By the way ... I do much more reading (Working with computers at work and browsing the net at home) on an LCD screen than on an e-ink screen. Yet, for fiction books I strongly prefer e-ink.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote