View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 AM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalbiker View Post
DRM doesn't punish anyone. Additionally, it doesn't presuppose that any particular person is a thief, it recognizes that there are thieves in the world and that the company has no way whatsoever of distinguishing who is and who is not. You take personally something that is not directed by the company personally.
The average person won't know how to remove the DRM from an eBook. Chances re the thief will. DRM was created to prevent people from taking a digital file and being able to give copies away. What DRM can do is cause problems for people who legally purchased the content. lets say I had a Gen3 and it broke and I then purchased a V3 and wanted to use FBreader to read my Mobipocket content. As an average user who has no idea how to remove the DRM, I then end up with all of these eBooks that I can no longer read on my portable device. The pirates on the other hand, have no problem at all. Yes, DRM punished the honest people by assuming that they will be giving away free copies of their purchased eBooks.

Quote:
DRM defines one of the limitations a product has such that a consumer can decide whether or not to VOLUNTARILY contract with the seller under such conditions. If you are anti-DRM, I expect the right and proper thing to do is not purchase products with DRM limitations attached. My hat is off to you for standing up for your principles. However, when someone crosses the line from merely not supporting the product to actually stealing the product because they don't like DRM, that says something different about the person.
Sure, we can avoid eBooks with DRM, but that then limits us to not being able to purchase the eBooks we want which was the reason for getting the reader in the first place. One thing I have said is that if you get a CD with copy protection on it and you manage to make a copy protection free copy, give it away to anyone who wants it. Now a CD that came without copy protection, is another story. As for eBooks, I'm not advocating buying with DRM, removing the DRM and then giving it away. Not at all. I do however advocate removing the DRM ASAP if you can and then you have a DRM free copy to do with for personal use as you see fit.