View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Blindsight and LCD vs E-ink?

I was reading Scientific American this week and there was an article on "Blindsight" that caught my attention.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...g-i-2010-04-15

The theory is that there is a primitive part of the brain that processes visual information. To demonstrate they have a video of a person who lost use of his primary visual cortex (through strokes) but was still able to navigate obstacles in a hallway.

Other testing has shown that patients are able to recognize emotions expressed by a persons face but not recognize the person or their gender. Other things that can be detected are objects appearing and disappearing, movement, color and orientation of lines.

I wonder if this is related to the fatigue that some people experience from LCD screens. It aligns with my theory that it's more related to the screen refresh then the light, meaning that the screen refresh is fast enough to fool our primary visual cortex into thinking it's seeing a stable image but there is another part of the brain that isn't fooled.

Anyone up for some brain probes to test my theory?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote