View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #888
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I just finished listening to: Red Moon Rising: Sputnik and the Hidden Rivals That Ignited the Space Age by Matthew Brzezinski. I picked it up when it was one of Audible's Daily Specials a few weeks ago.

A very interesting non-fiction book covering the period from the end of WWII when the Americans and Russians were racing to acquire Nazi scientists and hardware through the launch of the first two Russian Sputniks and ends with the launch of the first American satellite. I have read several books that focused on the 1960s manned era but never one that focused on this earlier period. Although the title implies it is primarily about the Russian efforts, the book actually gives about equal time to the Russians and the Americans. It not only delves into the science and engineering aspects, but also addresses how politics impacted things and how these things in turn impacted politics.

I enjoyed this book a lot and feel like I learned some new details I never knew. If you are interested in this early period of the space program, I would highly recommend it.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote