View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #15448
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I was sunning on a beach in Cuba the past week, so I read a bit. Some of these were paper, some were ebooks, some were audiobooks.

I tackled the classic Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. Very atmospheric and I liked the outsider perspective, great way to hook the reader into the story.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan was just average. I felt it was trying too hard to be hip and the story was secondary. Google was practically a character in the book, more focus on the actual characters would have helped.

The Giver
by Lois Lowry. Great YA book I snagged for a quarter last year. When I finished I wanted more, but unfortunately I didn't have the second in the trilogy, it's on hold now at the library (and the third).

Seabiscuit
by Lauren Hillenbrand was good, but much of the story was known to me, so the book wasn't as engrossing as Unbroken (which I could not put down at the start of the year).

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood mixed a science fiction story with a family drama. At the beginning it peaked my curiosity, but I found my interest waning as it devolved into a predictable drama.

The Mysterious Mr. Quin by Agatha Christie is a collection of short stories with her non-detective spook. A treat from a master.

To Love and Be Wise by Josephine Tey. One of the Alan Grant mysteries, set in a country house with a likeable cast of characters. I'll be sad when I read the last of her books, I only discovered her last year and have been enjoying the Alan Grant series.

The Blackhouse by Peter May was on my wishlist for a while, since I enjoyed his Enzo MacLeod mysteries, and I'm almost finished listening to the audiobook. Terriffic setting on an island off Scotland with a homegrown policeman, I'll certainly be carrying on with this trilogy.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote