View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #61
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
So a comma after Hello makes it sound correct. Instead of Steve Martin, maybe Ebenezer Scrooge.
I tried that, but the phrase is still inverted. The more comprehensible version would read, "You, there! Hello!"

However, that isn't the most polite greeting I've ever heard. It sounds as if the administrator is about to order me to leave the cave where I've been hiding.

The most defensible word arrangement is probably, "Hello there, you!" Unfortunately, the tone is disturbingly flirtatious. It gives you the impression the speaker is going to try to tickle me under the chin.

It sounds as if the original writer was really only attempting to say, "Hello, there!"

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-02-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote