View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #249
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
Yes, as per usual and it's different in England & Wales than Scotland. The warranty is normally one year but, to quote the This is Money website "for six months after the purchase, it is up to the retailer to show that a fault on an item is down to the actions or misuse of the buyer, rather than an inherent fault in the product.

After six months, the burden of proof switches to the buyer and it is they who must then show a fault is due to some inherent problem, something that can be almost impossible in all but the most straightforward cases."

The website does say that you can try printing a copy of EU directive 1999/44/EC to take along when you complain to a shop, but as long as they comply with the UK Sale of Goods Act, you usually won't get anywhere, though if it is referred to Head Office you may eventually get some kind of recompense.

John Lewis are unusual in offering a longer than 1 year warranty on some electrical goods including PCs, laptops and tablet computers. The info about guarantees isn't shown on their website for Kindles or Nooks, but the Kobo is now showing as 1 year only, so maybe they've reduced it across the board for ereaders. I was very disappointed as I'd read on Amazon recommendations to buy at JL to get the longer guarantee in view of all the problems. JL's standard info page also says that pixel problems and screen burn are excluded from the warranty.
I can't believe I'm reading this.

Not saying it's untrue or anything, but in the Netherlands, it's not possible for a retailer to just lower the warranty whenever they feel like it, let alone to decide that some problems are not covered. Saying something like: "A stuck space bar on notebook Brand X is not covered under warranty" (because we've read that their current keyboards are unreliable) is just not possible. And fir good rains reasons, IMHO.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote