View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #54
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I can't argue with your points. I like quiet myself, which is one reason I don't watch television. But in particular when I'm swimming, I find that audiobooks help a lot to keep me going after boredom would ordinarily have had me calling it quits. Similarly, a walk around my neighborhood has little to engage me and an audiobook helps keep me in the zone, not dislodge me from it. But I must admit I'm unlikely to resort to one when I'm walking along a beach, say.
We're all agreed on the value of audiobooks. It's simply a matter of when they work best for each of us. If I walked regularly around the neighborhood, or did something repetitive (like laps around a track or pool, or the treadmill) then, yes, an audiobook is a great asset! Probably necessary.

A good reader can bring out shades of meaning or emotion that I might miss when reading on my own. It's like listening to an old radio show. My imagination can be engaged in a different way than when I read in silence. As a rule, though, I best enjoy an audiobook in smaller portions, a little per day.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote