View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #93
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The Notices at the top of every page in this thread isn't specific?

(Although the date could ude some updating.)
There isn't anything in this particular thread about life+70 being the rule for uploads, that is, this thread we're reading titled "General Book Uploads Posting Guidelines." But yes, in all of the threads where a book has been uploaded it's there. What was sort of perplexing to me is, for example, the second post in the thread we're in, from HarryT titled "What is in the Public Domain?" where he explains the complexity of the copyright laws in the US. Perplexing because, on the one hand, the US laws don't matter for what's legal to upload here. But on the other hand, if I'm in the US, then I should know what's legal for me to download to my computer before I work on it and upload it here.

And then to add to my confusion, I saw some books on Project Gutenberg (which seems to follow the US copyright laws) where the author had died in the 1970s but were published in that period where they needed to have their copyright renewed and hadn't so they're PD. Being literal minded and with this thread talking about public domain, I was wondering perhaps if I could upload them and there is a different disclaimer for uploaded books that are public domain in the US. Which in retrospect doesn't make sense (now that I think about it) because the MobileRead server is in Switzerland (or Germany) so they have to conform to those laws.

Last edited by lumpynose; 08-07-2019 at 02:34 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote