View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #19
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
As an e-book reader, have you ever looked at the number of titles available for free on the web, or available conveniently for purchase, and felt lost?
No more or less than with paper books.

In fact, probably less so, since there are far fewer ebooks than paper books available. I also pretty much ignore the heaps of self-published books; no one would be willing to pay me what I'd ask to wade through the Internet Slush Pile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Now I definitely feel a bit more stress about which books to read. The world's collective library is at my fingertips, so covering the most important books has become a lot more important to me. Life is short, and my interests are wide, so I know I can only sample what's out there.
How is that any different than walking into a fairly large bookstore, or surfing any major book retailer's website?

Quote:
How do I pick the right books, and manage my reading list?
Read what strikes your fancy at any given moment. Unless you are reading a series, a set of technical manuals, academic texts, or something else with a specifically preset order, what does it matter? Does the weight of the world really depend on what books you read first?

Or have you really never, ever had the experience of staring at the paper books on your shelves, or on the library bookshelves, and not being able to decide what you wanted to read?

And did you sort your paper books using the Dewey Decimal System, by the way?

Quote:
With this sudden abundance of wealth in the form of e-books, are we really prepared to take advantage?
Some of us are. No wait, make that "most of us."

With all due respect, man up. The only real difference here is that you can carry around a tremendous number of books in a highly portable package. Instead of staring at your shelves at the moment of decision, you're scrolling through screens.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this will connect with someone here, unless the multitude of e-books is just pure joy and benefit for all, with no downsides?
I wouldn't go that far, there are definitely some downsides to ebooks. However, IMO Selection-Induced Indecision isn't really one of them.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote