View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Your DRM free digital song will play fine in 20 years,. A silly piece of plastic...... not so much....

Remember 78 RPM albums? Of course you don't.... that's my point.
Remember 33 1/3 RPM albums? Maybe, listen to any lately?
Remember 45 RPM singles? Maybe, listen to any lately?

Digital can be converted to whatever the next format is.... and thus played on future players. CD's are a wastedof money.... they wear out, warp, oxidize.... etc.
Others have addressed the DRM and lossy aspect of digitized music, so I won't touch on that other than to agree 100% with not wanting those in my archive.

Now, that silly piece of plastic, well, I have plenty of music CD's bordering on 20 yrs old and no sign of degradation. I've ripped, and re-ripped some of my discs over the years with no problems at all. Rip once with a good drive and something like EAC on the PC, or XLD on the Mac, to a lossless format and you're good to go for years.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote