View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #37
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
As far as On the Beach (which I did read a long time ago) my opinion is that it is dated and of pulp fiction quality.
Yeah, pulp fiction. I had to go there and see what the expression actually means. Clockwork Orange could go there also.

IMMO, Nevil Shute might have reached his peak with No Highway.

from Wikipedia
Spoiler:
The novel contains many of the ingredients that made Shute popular as a novelist, and, like several other of Shute's later novels, includes an element of the supernatural.
Shute's fictional account of a new airliner design being subject to mechanical failure due to metal fatigue after a certain number of flight cycles presaged the similar failures of the de Havilland Comet airliner just six years later. There are many parallels between the novel and the later real-life disasters, surely the result of one aeronautical engineer/author working out the possibilities, which a real and similar design then experienced. (A coincidence has been observed between the aircraft names, the fictional Reindeer and the real-life Comet, "Comet" being in poetry the name of one of Santa Claus's reindeer, but the Comet was named for the prewar de Havilland DH.88 racing aircraft.)
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote