View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of lightOneiroDancer is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Best non-kindle devices around nowadays?

So, I did it again: I lost another ebook reader. It happened a couple of years ago to my Sony PRS-T1; following advice from this forum I bought a Boyue, which at the time was one of the best alternative e-reader around, but now it also got lost. At the moment I am reading on an old, non frontlit kindle of my daughter's, but it's just a temporary solution.

My requisites are the following:
  • not a kindle. Reasons for this would require another discussion; having had a look at other discussions, I will only say the lock-in is not the reason.
  • pocket size (e.g, 6" with a 3:2 aspect ratio)
  • frontlit
  • base features for reading (highlighting, notetaking and a good English dictionary) working by default (which unfortunately was not the case with my Boyue)
  • possibility of fiddling with the software, e.g. trying different reading apps, would be a plus
  • physical buttons would also be a plus (but I read in another thread that nowadays they are rather uncommon)

Pointers to buying guides are also welcome--the ones I found only feature the most expensive models and/or the most common producers; a couple of years ago I bought my Boyue around 130, I'd expect to find something around the same price...
OneiroDancer is offline   Reply With Quote