View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I nominate Airman by Eoin Colfer.

Quote:
One dark night on the island of Great Saltee, fourteen-year-old Conor is framed for a terrible crime he didn’t commit. Thrown into prison by the dastardly Hugo Bonvilain, Conor is trapped in a seaswept dungeon and branded a traitor. He must escape and clear his name; he wants his old life back – his family, his friends . . . and his princess.

Conor knows there is only one way out. It’s an impossible task, which has never been done before. But Conor is determined to do it. He’ll have to fly.
416 pages

Here are some example links/prices:
Amazon US - USD$6.99 | Amazon UK - 2.99 | Amazon CA - CDN$7.99 | Amazon AU - AUD$11.99 | Kobo US - USD$6.99 | Kobo UK - 2.99 | Kobo CA - CAD$7.99 | Kobo AU AUD$11.99 | Kobo NZ NZD$14.25

Also see Goodreads and even read about the real world setting: Saltee Islands.

The book is rather more serious and sophisticated in tone and writing than the blurb above may indicate. I found it an excellent story that just happens to be targeted at children ("ideal for readers 11+"). It is certainly less tongue-in-cheek than the (also excellent) Artemis Fowl stories. I was really tempted to nominate Artemis Fowl, as it feels more childish in nature and so perhaps more in keeping with the theme, but I do think Airman is the better book. Colfer has also written a few books for adults (Plugged and Screwed) that are also very good reads.

P.S. And I no longer think that Bump is the best nomination so far.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote