View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 04:52 AM   #11
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
There is one other advantage in reading from a phone, at least for me.

Since one of the newer Android versions, the operating system can control application popups. It can limit a popup to only making a sound/vibrate, only show a message, disable it completely, even if the app itself has no popup control.

I set up Whatsapp (and e-mail) to only emit sound when a message comes in. My girlfriend an I don't live together yet, and in the evening, we both often read, _and_ have a whatsapp conversation at the same time, typing our messages at the end of a section break or a chapter. I set up a specific sound for her.

So, when a message from her comes in, I read up to the next scene break or the end of the chapter, switch to whatsapp, reply, and then jump right back into the book. It prevents me from having to juggle both the e-reader and the phone.

The same is basically true when I'm in a train station. "When was that train coming again?" -> switch to public transport app, find the time -> switch back to my book again. Easier than having to close and put away my e-reader, get out the phone, and then reverse the process again.
Those are some of the reasons I only read at home alone, when no one is trying to contact me. You found a solution in reading on the phone. I cannot read a book at all jumping from one activity to another, it doesn't matter which device is used. I can only focus on a book when there are no interruptions at all.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote