View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Awww, people have been re-writing classic fiction for years. This is just good marketing. I'm fine with parodies. Has anyone read either of the first two? Is it the original text with extra bits, substantially the original text, or is it pure parody with just a few quotes thrown in?

What's stopping ANYBODY doing this? Next thing you have a glut and nobody cares anymore.

I read here that a Sherlock Holmes inspired anthology was canned, probably in response to the recent film. Now that's a real crime, never mind mash-up literature, which I'm actually extremely surprised Moejoe isn't in favour of.
Why surprised? Mashups are lazy forms of creativity, why not just pay homage like every other writer or creator has ever done and keep 'new' art coming? The idea isn't bad; taking one of those stuffy old texts and then adding something new to it like zomibies or what have you, a clash of polite society and an horrific event. But why not invent your own society, your own characters and events where all this can take place? Why not create something new from the old, instead of just adding onto what already is?

What's next, Moby Fang? A Tale of Two Werewolves? Jane Eyre: Vampire Hunter?

Homage: Taking what was and letting it inspire what is
Parody: Aping what is
Mashup: Combining what was and what is and boring me in the process

EDIT: And while we're on the subject I want all Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Warlocks, Demons and Devils along with all assorted other horrors brought back to their rightful position in the nightmares of all. From now on I don't want to see another Vampire Detective, Werewolf Bounty Hunter or Witch Dentist. Gorram ruining horror is all that rubbish!

Last edited by Moejoe; 01-14-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote